BC Stats is the central statistical agency of the Province of British Columbia. BC Stats is in the business of adding value to data and information to support informed decision making and policy development.
BC Stats is an organization within the Service BC division of the Ministry of Technology, Innovation and Citizens’ Services.
High quality data intelligence about British Columbia’s citizens, economy & government.
BC Stats operates under the authority of the British Columbia Statistics Act, R.S.B.C. 1996, C. 439.
To be the first choice for statistical expertise in British Columbia.
- Produce and interpret statistical information relating to all facets of life in British Columbia, including the demographic, social and economic conditions of the province and its population;
- Serve the needs of a variety of clients in the public and private sectors, for timely and reliable statistical information and analytical services;
- Assist British Columbia provincial government ministries and agencies with their statistical activities, (e.g., collecting, compiling, analysing and distributing statistical information) and in establishing appropriate technical standards and procedures to avoid duplication in collecting information; and
- Coordinate statistical matters between the British Columbia Government and statistical agencies of other governments within Canada.
What we do:
- Collect data and perform analysis related to measures of business and economic activity (including GDP) and for performing economic impact assessments;
- Develop indicators on labour and social conditions within B.C.;
- Produce population and demographic estimates for B.C. communities which includes monitoring and reporting on demographic trends in B.C.;
- Conduct small and large scale surveys which: