Located in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, BC Stats is the central statistical agency of the Province of British Columbia. We have the provincial government's largest concentration of statistical products, services and expertise. BC Stats maintains a function that has been present in British Columbia since 1897.
BC Stats operates under the direction of the British Columbia Statistics Act, R.S.B.C. 1996, C. 439. BC Stats’ mandate includes the provision of services on a cost recovery basis to voluntary clients, as well as the provision of core corporate services to government. The core services we provide include:
- liaison and coordination with the National Statistical System in Canada on behalf of the Province of BC;
- dissemination of general statistical information; and
- stewardship of statistical information.
Our main objectives are to:
- produce and interpret statistical information relating to all facets of life in British Columbia, including the demographic, social and economic conditions of the province and its population;
- serve the needs of a variety of clients in the public and private sectors, for timely and reliable statistical information and analytical services;
- assist British Columbia provincial government ministries and agencies with their statistical activities, (e.g., collecting, compiling, analysing and distributing statistical information) and in establishing appropriate technical standards and procedures to avoid duplication in collecting information; and
- coordinate statistical matters between the British Columbia Government and statistical agencies of other governments within Canada.
BC Stats is comprised of six main sections: